Build your own Search screencast
Creating your own, personal Search Page will help you find an asset, just like it does for users of your website, without having to expose the page to the public
See that box in the top right of the Administration Interface?
It's more useful than you think! To jump directly to an asset, in the Quick Search box, enter:
- An asset ID (just the number, no "#")
- URLs (e.g. http://example.com/about/something)
Build your own Search Page
As your system grows, Quick Search may become less useful. This is because the Quick Search isn't restricted to just your section of the system: it returns results from any other site or folder. On large systems, a search could return dozens or hundreds of matching results.
Creating your own, personal Search Page will help you find an asset, just like it does for users of your website, without having to expose the page to the public. Search Page assets are far more flexible than the Quick Search, as they can be configured to your exact requirements. Search Pages can be set up to:
- search for live assets only;
- find assets that haven't been updated recently;
- search for assets in a specific part of the system.
- Create a Search Page asset and on the Details screen:
a. Set Root Nodes to the Site asset to be searched.
b. Set Asset Types to Search for to "Standard Page".
c. Select all the Search Statuses.
- On the Search Fields screen:
a. Set Allow Empty Searches? to "Yes".
b. Add a New Search Field Name called "search-field".
c. Add a Data Source of type "Include All".
- On the Edit Contents screen of the "Initial Search Page Layout" (which is a child of the Search Page asset):
a. Use the -select keyword- drop down to insert "Input field for search-field".
- On the Edit Contents screen of the "Default Format" asset (which is a child of the “Type Formats” Folder) click the "<>" button, and replace the existing HTML with:
<a href="%asset_url%/_admin/?SQ_BACKEND_PAGE=backend_section&am_section=edit_asset&assetid=%asset_assetid%&asset_ei_screen=contents&SQ_BACKEND_PAGE=main" target="sq_main">Work more efficiently with Matrix</a>
Once the Search Page asset is set up, simply preview the asset and enter a search term. Clicking on any of the results links will take you directly to the Edit Contents screen for that asset. Alternatively in the URL substitute asset_ei_screen=contents for asset_ei_screen=details to go to the Details screen.